It’s hard to get angry at a squirrel, very few people in their lifetime will get to this point. After all what harm could these feisty, fast, fluffy animals do? Well, don’t be fooled by their strikingly cute looks, these tiny woodland critters could cause hell if they manage to get into your house. You will be more than angry when you start noticing your food supply is going missing; you will also begin to notice that you have a flea infestation. The good news, however, is, you could easily get rid of squirrels in a humane way using our squirrel removal Toronto service.
Why do squirrels get into your house?
There are several reasons why squirrels would get attracted to your house. Here are three top reasons why squirrels might have entered your house.
You have a tree right next to your house that is not maintained. In case you have long, sprawling branches next to your house, they could act as staircases to your house. Squirrel is very agile creatures and could easily access your attic with a few well-timed jumps.
You have holes in your walls garage of the roof. Squirrels are good at reading holes, and especially if they can reach them. If your house has a hole, it’s like a bright neon light with a welcome sign for squirrels; they won’t waste time getting in.
Bird feeders in the garden. Feeders are perhaps the most attracting structure you have in your home for squirrels. They will sense it miles away. If you have more than a few feeders in your garden, it could lead to a squirrel infestation.
Squirrels will prefer living in your attic than in your rooms. The attic is dry, warm and safe. Once they get access to your attic, they will quickly divide it into sections. For eating, defecating and sleeping. It will tear through the insulation to make a comfy nest.
How to repel squirrels from your house
If squirrels have entered your home, you will be aware of their presence immediately since they don’t do a lot to cover their tracks. They are active during the day, and you will likely hear a lot of noise, that often is mentally exhausting. Here are a few ways you could get rid of squirrels in your home.
- The first step is always assessing the situation. You will soon realize that squirrels are much more afraid of you than you are of them. Its always a good idea to keep your cool once you spot them, a bite from a squirrel could carry rabies.
- Keep your pets away as you deal with the situation. In case you have pets in your home, it’s a good idea to keep them away when you notice squirrel activity in the house. Squirrels carry fleas that could be easily passed to your pets.
- Keep away food. Squirrels will not simply walk away, they have found a good, warm, safe spot to live. In case you are in the habit of leaving foods such as nuts, seeds, and fruits in plain view of your house, you may need to reconsider your options. Hide all food and keep them tightly enclosed in containers.
- Get rid of hiding spots in your house. If a squirrel enters your home, it is likely to hide in a small dark space, like drawers’ cupboards or cabinets. Ensure you close them up; it will deprive them of a safe hideout motivating them to move out.
- Keep them off with scents and sounds. In case the squirrel still doesn’t want to leave, you could give it an incentive to do so. Soak a few rugs with vinegar in rooms where the squirrels have taken residence. You could also play loud music or talk shows for continued periods of time. You could also install portable LED lamps and place them at their hideouts. Marking the area with urine from its predators will also chase them away.
- Lastly, you could get help from a wildlife removal expert. They will be able to access your home and recommend ways you could get rid of the squirrels for good.
How Can Squirrels Access My House
Squirrels are cute little creatures but they can be very disturbing when they find their way into your house or living space. They are free creatures that don’t like being trapped or being in foreign places. It gets confusing when it in an enclosed area and it doesn’t know what to do. Chances are that all it wants is to find some food and leave as fast as it can. When you see a squirrel do not panic. Secure the room and get out any other pets in case the squirrel is rabid to avoid infecting them.
Squirrels can get into your house through the door, window or attic. They are fast at wall climbing and can climb a high wall in a matter of seconds. They can chew into the wood and make holes even in aluminum and brick They are territorial creatures who warn each other when they sense danger. This is why it is not easy to catch a squirrel chewing through your roof. They like warm and dry places such as the attic, to store food and make babies. They eat away the wooden planks and make holes big enough to allow their movement in and out of the roof.
To get rid of them seal off their entry points and create an exit. Direct this exit outside and make the place appealing by leaving food. This will encourage their evacuation. You can resort to trap setting and use the right type of bait preferably nuts since these are their favourite. Leave the traps for a longer period of time until you are sure all of them have left. Squirrels are scared of ammonia, sounds, flashlights and squirrel repellent. The strong smell of ammonia drives squirrels away and especially predator urine. Fox spray is a commonly used squirrel repellent.
How Can I Keep Squirrels Out Of My House
Squirrels can wreak havoc if they find their way into your home. Despite the fact that they use the existing openings to enter your house, they can also chew through wood leading to substantial damage to roofs, fascia and trim. Maintaining the basic home maintenance is the solution to keeping these squirrels out of your house.
Trim the tree branches to at least 10ft to 15ft from your home. These animals use tree branches as an opportune pathway to your house. Inspect your house several times every year, looking for holes and small openings that they could use to enter your home. In case you find any, cover the hole with wire mesh or replace the damaged wood. If the openings are very tiny, push some steel wool into it, to completely cover the opening.
Cap the chimney. Squirrels are normally drawn to heat from the chimney during the cooler months; however, the carbon monoxide from the furnace can actually kill them. Once they die, they normally fall down through the chimney. Most often you won’t discover what has happened until you smell the unpleasant odour. So it’s essential that you check your chimney from time to time.
If the squirrels are entering your house and you haven’t discovered how they are getting in, consider purchasing a strobe light specifically made for repelling squirrels. While the light doesn’t hurt the squirrels, it collectively bothers their sight, encouraging most of them to find a new home. Squirrels aren’t the cute, wonderful creatures that we normally see in Disney movies; they can carry diseases as well as cause a lot of damage. You don’t need these little pests in your house; however, you need to keep them away from your home in a more humane way that won’t harm them. Employ the above methods that have been tested and found to be very useful to those looking to have a squirrel free house.